This is a more sophisticated take on tuna salad than the usual mayonnaise, celery, and red onion version. It’s also really high in protein. The cannellini beans add a creamy texture without increasing the fat content. This recipe has been adapted from Sunset Magazine’s September 2006 issue. I add more celery to bulk it up, and use a TBS. less of olive oil. This is great on crusty bread or mixed with greens as part of a salad. Enjoy!
- One can good quality tuna fish packed in oil- drained and rinsed
- 6 stalks celery chopped (I prefer a large chop)
- 1- 15 oz. can cannellini beans- drained and rinsed
- 1/4 small red onion- finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Serve on crusty bread or over salad greens. I’ve made this before and dressed it lightly with a mustard vinaigrette- it was delicious.