I’ve been making this for years, it even garners compliments from the cranberry sauce averse. Great idea for the Thanksgiving potluck if you are less than stellar in the kitchen; this couldn’t be easier.The walnuts, ginger, orange, and lemon zest give it a much needed lift without imparting too much sweetness. This recipe has been slightly adapted from the Barefoot Contessa’s Cranberry Fruit Conserve. Makes roughly 4 cups.
- 1 12 oz. bag cranberries, washed
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 Granny Smith Apple- peeled, cored, & chopped
- 1 orange- zested (I suggest using a microplane for this) & juiced
- 1 lemon- zested & juiced
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbs. crystalized ginger, roughly chopped
- Put the cranberries, water, & sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the skins of the cranberries pop.
- Add the apple, zests, & juices. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Add raisins, walnuts, & ginger.
- Allow to cool then place in the fridge.
- Serve chilled